5 Minute Yoga Routine to Destress at WorkMay 19, 2018
Be more productive at work with a few yoga stretches and breathing exercises that will take you less than 5 minutes. Re-energize and de-stress without having to leave your desk or change out of your work clothes. It's never been easier to incorporate therapeutic yoga flows into your work breaks, and mitigate the negative effects of prolonged sitting, typing, and texting.
1. SWEEPING ARM LIFTS
- From standing, take a nice big inhale and lifts the arms up, reaching towards the sky.
- Exhale, lower the arms down by your sides.
- Repeat 10 times.
2. WRIST STRETCH
Bring the elbows wide as the hands press together in prayer position, allowing the chest to expand as the elbows widen. As you press the palms together, stand tall and feel the spine elongate.
Keeping palms pressed together, turn the fingertips down, image 2, and then bring them back up, image 1.
As you go up and down, rotate through the forearms.
Repeat ten times, twice through.
Feel your posture muscles working in the upper and middle spine as you stand tall.
Keep the stomach in and engaged
3. WRIST SHAKES
Relieve tension and boost circulation by shaking the wrists vigorously. Shake for 10-20 seconds to naturally detox the body and increase blood flow to the wrists.
4. BREATH OF FIRE
Breath of Fire is detoxing, invigorating, strengthening, and relieves pain! Sounds too good to be true? Try it out for yourself for at least 1 minute and experience all the natural benefits of pranayama (yogic breathing).
- Sit up tall, lengthening the space between your navel and your heart. Feet are rooted into the floor, and sit at the edge of your chair so your back is not touching the back of the seat.
- Close the eyes, and roll them in and up towards your third eye point – the gateway to your intuition.
- Begin to breathe deeply and completely in and out through the nose, pulling your abdomen in during the exhale, and releasing it during the inhale. Imagine your belly fills up with air during the inhale and use your abdominal muscles to push the air out during the exhale.
- Take a half breath in, and begin to pulse the navel in and up, imagining your navel pulsating up towards your heart with each exhale, then let each inhale be a passive breath. Forcefully exhale, passively inhale.
- Your breath should be audible, reminding you of the power within you.
- To conclude, inhale deeply, suspend the breath for a few moments, then exhale, keeping your eyes closed.
- Keep your eyes closed, and experience the sensations of the body, noticing your body and connecting with yourself. After a minute of silent and still meditation, open your eyes and return to the room.
Begin with 30 seconds, then work your way up to 4 or 5 minutes.
This is a beautiful cleansing ritual that can help you shift into a clearer and more powerful state of mind at any time of the day!
Hey Girlie, we hate spam too.
So when we send the occasional email, we make it worth your time. Sign up to get free instant access to my at-home Pilates Barre Workout!